As some of you may know, I’m mildly obsessed with the Fit Men Cook food blog. I’ve incorporated about a half dozen of creator Kevin’s recipes into my weekly routine, the majority of them breakfasts. I want to share two of my favorites with you. They’re easy to prepare, cook quickly, and keep you full. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Hi-Energy Vegan Breakfast Quinoa
Servings: Up to 5
Nutrition Facts per Servings: 228 Calories, 6 grams protein, 32 grams carbs
2 cups cooked quinoa
1/3 cup dried cranberries (without added sugar)
1/3 cup dried cherries (without added sugar)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 TB cinnamon
Chilled unsweetened almond milk
1. Mix all ingredients together except for the almond milk.
2. Each morning, scoop 3/4 cup of quinoa mixture into a bowl and heat in a microwave or convection oven for no more than 1 minute.
3. Pour about 1/2 cup of almond milk over the heated mixture and enjoy.
NOTE: I like to eat this with a side of fresh berries.
Protein & Superfood Breakfast Casserole
Servings: 3 to 4
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 397 Calories, 46 grams of protein, 30 grams of carbs
4 tsp Maca powder (I use Navitas Naturals brand.)
1 lb. lean ground turkey meat
2 cups cooked quinoa
2/3 cups black beans
2 eggs, 3 egg whites
1 small zucchini
1 bell pepper
1/3 red onion (I omit.)
1 TB garlic or roughly 3 cloves, minced
2/3 cup shredded mozzarella
Optional: tomato slices and green onions (I omit both.)
1. Preheat your oven to 405 degrees.
2. Dice up your veggies.
3. Add eggs and egg whites to a bowl and lightly beat.
4. Cook turkey meat until no longer pink.
5. In a separate pan, add garlic and veggies and cook until tender but not mushy. Season with salt and pepper.
6. In a large bowl, add the turkey meat, cooked veggies, and cooked quinoa. Mix well.
7. Add the eggs to the mixture and incorporate well.
8. Add the Maca powder 1 teaspoon at a time and stir well. (I have found that doing it this way allows me to mix it in more thoroughly and completely.)
9. Spray an 8×8 deep casserole dish (not a brownie tin) with coconut oil and pour in the quinoa, veggie, and turkey mixture.
10. Top with shredded mozzarella and bake for 25 minutes.
NOTE: Great leftovers and easy to portion out! This dish grows more flavorful each day.